Israelis mark two-year anniversary of 7 October incident as Gaza peace talks continue

Memorial site image
Some gathered at the site of the music festival, where more than 370 people were killed and many more taken to Gaza as hostages

Israelis have gathered throughout the country to commemorate the second anniversary since the Hamas-initiated assault on October 7th, 2023, as discussions advanced in Egypt over an end to the war in Gaza.

The incident saw over 1,200 people killed and 251 others captured away to Gaza as hostages. It was the most most lethal day for the Jewish community since the Second World War.

Israel responded by beginning a military offensive in Gaza which has claimed over 67,000 people, according to the territory's Hamas-run health ministry. Its statistics are considered accurate by the United Nations and other global organizations.

"The bloodthirsty enemies have hit us hard, but they have not overcome us," Benjamin Netanyahu added on Tuesday.

He also pledged to "accomplish all the aims of the war: the return of all the kidnapped, the destruction of the Hamas government and the assurance that Gaza will never again present a danger to Israel".

Memorial Ceremonies Across Israel

The national leadership rescheduled state memorials until 16 October - after the end of the religious holiday season - but gatherings still occurred throughout the country on that day.

A commemorative event for the loved ones of Israeli citizens who lost their lives in the Hamas attack was organized in Tel Aviv. Put together by the victims' relatives, it was aired throughout Israeli television channels.

A period earlier, a moment of silence was respected throughout the country.

Negotiation Discussions in Egypt

Simultaneously, both sides' representatives convened in the Egyptian tourist destination of Sharm el-Sheikh for a second day of third-party negotiations to examine the provisions of the proposal.

A senior representative involved in the negotiations said that an late session of mediated discussions started at 19:00 Cairo time.

The representative explained the morning session finished without concrete outcomes, because of disagreements over the recommended Israeli retreat arrangements from Gaza and over assurances Hamas wants to guarantee Israel does not resume fighting after the opening period of the agreement.

He added that the discussions are "challenging and have not yet produce any significant progress," but mentioned that mediators are working hard to close the gaps between the two sides.

Key Points in Discussions

  • An enduring halt to fighting
  • The trade of the hostages still detained by Hamas for detainees from Gaza
  • The pullout of troops from Gaza
  • Measures for assistance provision
  • Post-war management of the region

Citizen Feeling

In Tel Aviv's memorial area previously, young Hagar - whose family member endured the assault on the Nova music festival, where hundreds were killed and many more were captured by Hamas militants - shared: "No place appears as home any longer and until each abducted person are released not a single person will have peace of mind."

"When we see all home once more, we can relax again. Then we can start to recover," she continued.

Near the leader's residence in Jerusalem, people assembled to express their solidarity for the loved ones of the captives. Israel says 48 stay in confinement in Gaza, approximately twenty of whom are believed to be surviving.

Protester one woman remarked: "We need do any agreement needed for the abducted to come back home. But we sincerely need guarantees that we will be secure."

Surveys now regularly indicate that about seventy percent of Israelis prefer the hostilities to finish in return for the freedom of the abducted.

Gaza Conditions

At the site of the music event, those paying respects came together to remember the victims.

From that location, the boom of aerial bombardments and explosions could be heard just a short distance away in Gaza, where observers said the severe Israeli shelling continued.

In the urban center, attacks were reported in the early hours of Tuesday in the west side neighborhood, Rimal and locality areas and in the eastern area of that sector, as well Shati refugee camp to the north-west.

"As the dusk comes, the anxiety arrives with it," relocated Gaza City resident Emaan al-Wahidi, whose 17-year-old son was lost his life by an Israeli air strike last year, explained.

"Me and my three children are terrified of the attacks. During nighttime we are lying together, clinging, notably my little child who rests his head on me throughout the night."

"Every second we look at the updates to see developments. And I'm concerned that this truce will not be completed and that the fighting will resume to us."

Medical Crisis

The medical facility in the urban area announced it had accepted the remains of half dozen people by the daytime, including several killed in an Israeli bombing in the south part district.

Nasser hospital in the southern city of the city reported another two fatalities had been transported. One of them was killed by Israeli forces while looking for aid to the southern area, medical staff said.

Gaza's health ministry announced 25 of the {territ

Brandon Allen
Brandon Allen

An art historian and cultural enthusiast with a passion for Italian heritage and museum curation.